YouTube-support

Moderator: Moderator

User avatar
acmelabs
Overlord
Posts: 2365
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

YouTube-support

Postby acmelabs » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:57 pm

Just had a stupid idea, don't know whether this makes sense at all, but I though, it would be cool to sit in the living room with the remote control, and surf through the content of youtube or something. You know, we have web-radio, so why don't use web-video too? :-)

What do you think, guys?

Andreas

User avatar
acmelabs
Overlord
Posts: 2365
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: YouTube-support

Postby acmelabs » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:17 am

acmelabs wrote:Just had a stupid idea, don't know whether this makes sense at all, but I though, it would be cool to sit in the living room with the remote control, and surf through the content of youtube or something. You know, we have web-radio, so why don't use web-video too? :-)

What do you think, guys?

Andreas


Really no comments on that?

Anders, as far as I know, are you working on an uPnP interface for MMS. Does this interface includes something like video-streaming?

Regards,

Andreas

User avatar
arj
Site Admin
Posts: 2316
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:51 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Postby arj » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:12 pm

Ok some comments for you :)

First. I don't know any implementation of youtube for linux. I mean a library that you can call to search and get the video. Although I havn't looked really hard. That probably is the biggest hurdle. Another thing is sort of how youtube works. Often one finds a video or is sent a link (using IM or email) so it works better when you are on the pc because you have all of these. And finally there is the argument of quality of the videos. They are rather poor on youtube. It's sort of the same argument as for flickr, only that I know there exists flickr libraries.

Anyway it could be nice to have, I just not sure how much work there would be in it. Seeing as one probably would need to build a while interface for that. It's a nice idea for a plugin in 1.1.0.

Regarding the second point then yes upnp can be used to stream video. Although it's not 100% related to this. Although the current upnp implementation are still a little fragile. But I'm working on that also :)

SanzoGhenzo
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:38 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Postby SanzoGhenzo » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:49 am

Hi,
the GData python library should help, and someone already did it.

Totem includes a youtube plugin:
http://tecnocode.co.uk/?page=blog&actio ... item&id=63
and there's a 50 lines of python code to build a simple gtk application:
http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.a ... plications

Since it's python, I think mms is ready for the youtube plugin!
Regards
Andrea

User avatar
acmelabs
Overlord
Posts: 2365
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Postby acmelabs » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:17 am

SanzoGhenzo wrote:Hi,
the GData python library should help, and someone already did it.

Totem includes a youtube plugin:
http://tecnocode.co.uk/?page=blog&actio ... item&id=63
and there's a 50 lines of python code to build a simple gtk application:
http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.a ... plications

Since it's python, I think mms is ready for the youtube plugin!
Regards
Andrea

Very cool.
That's what I've been waiting for. My wife would love such a plugin. Atm we switch to the Wii and launch Opera there. That's not really straigt forward ;-)
If no one's pushing to the front, I would write such a plugin - but this could really take a while - since it's getting harder and harder to find a few spare minutes.

Regards,
Andreas

User avatar
Mikka
veteran
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:50 pm
Contact:

Postby Mikka » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:53 pm

Hi acmelabs,

great idee!!!

My girl friend is interesting on this feature too :P

Mikka

User avatar
Uatschitchun
Overlord
Posts: 3189
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:55 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Postby Uatschitchun » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:22 pm

Maybe a "rewrite" of Fredde's python-shoutcast is enough? (Is it up somewhere still?)
Lg
Roman

User avatar
arj
Site Admin
Posts: 2316
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:51 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Postby arj » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:57 pm

Ah cool. Hurray for google buying up businesses and opening access up to them :-)

User avatar
Uatschitchun
Overlord
Posts: 3189
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:55 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Postby Uatschitchun » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:41 am

arj wrote:Ah cool. Hurray for google buying up businesses and opening access up to them :-)

A good way to collect more data ;)
Lg

Roman


Return to “feature requests”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests