Too many entries in main menu

Moderator: Moderator

pvo

Too many entries in main menu

Postby pvo » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:11 pm

Hello, in my current mms setup I have to scroll to see all entries in the main menu. One reason is that the font used is so large, the other is the number of menu entries. So I have a suggestion: We could group some menu entries into one menu entry, e.g.

- Watch TV and EPG
- Switch resolution and Quit

What do you think? In my opinion this would improve usability because the menu doesn't look so overcrowded.

Regards,
Patrick
Last edited by pvo on Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acmelabs
Overlord

Re: Too many entries in main menu

Postby acmelabs » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:16 pm

pvo wrote:Hello, in my current mms setup I have to scroll to see all entries in the main menu. On reason is that the font used is so large, the other is the number of menu entries. So I have a suggestion: We could group some menu entries into one menu entry, e.g.

- Watch TV and EPG
- Switch resolution and Quit

What do you think? In my opinion this would improve usability because the menu doesn't look so overcrowded.

Regards,
Patrick

I second that. That would give us a bit time and relieve until we have a consolidated theming mechanism for 1.2.x.
Additionally (I won't stop posting it), we should have the font- and icon size adjustable in /etc/mms/Config. (In common.cpp the value of 1200 atm).

Regards,
Andreas

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:36 pm

This all is part of plan for MMS > 1.1.0 !

Both requests already are in bug-db ... but for now we have to keep on making 1.1.0 stable ... even more, cause rc7 was a feature freeze ;)
Lg
Roman

acmelabs
Overlord

Postby acmelabs » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:28 pm

Uatschitchun wrote:This all is part of plan for MMS > 1.1.0 !

Both requests already are in bug-db ... but for now we have to keep on making 1.1.0 stable ... even more, cause rc7 was a feature freeze ;)

Really? If I did this, I'm sorry. I think I was a bit ahead of the time, since such changes would mean a core breach, thus we increase the middle part of our version number in such cases.

But I think, we could realize such tiny changes like grouping elements and make text and icon size configurable already.

Regards,
Andreas

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:35 am

the 1200 thingy is easy to fix, but menu is not. there are a multilude of questions that comes to mind. like pyglets in startmenu. configurable items. theming etc. we should decide on all of this in due time. but now is not the time.

acmelabs
Overlord

Postby acmelabs » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:49 am

arj wrote:the 1200 thingy is easy to fix, but menu is not. there are a multilude of questions that comes to mind. like pyglets in startmenu. configurable items. theming etc. we should decide on all of this in due time. but now is not the time.

Full Ack, I'm talking about grouping EPG and TV together agian, not the other stuff.

Thanks
Andreas

Lake-end

Postby Lake-end » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:54 pm

Not sure if this is also included in bug db, but seems I have entries in the menu which should not be there. I have Internet Radios and EPG many entries and here is my config:

Code: Select all

serveri ~ # mms -v
My Media System: 1.1.0 rc7
Configuration: --prefix=/usr/local --config=/etc/mms --enable-xine-audio --disable-alsaplayer --enable-notify-area --enable-weather --enable-tv --enable-lirc --disable-mouse --enable-python --disable-inotify --disable-epg
serveri ~ #
[/code]
My adventures with Gentoo + MMS + VDR in:
http://mylinuxhtpcproject.blogspot.com/

magicamun
master

Postby magicamun » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:36 am

grouping tv and epg - i was thinking about that long time ago - but didn't feel that i am "allowed" to ;-). I'd do that at the weekend if desired - it should be quite easy - it'll become one "application" then. What shall happen to the Options of both apps ? I'd prefer removing svdrp - options regarding the tv - app. Reason : the only reason to have seperate Options were that it were 2 plugins/apps and that long time ago - roman had the idea of having multiple svdrp-Connections. That has not been done so far - so if merging the apps merging the configs is a must too. I won't start this - if it will not be in 1.1.0 final - so i need some advise / hint to do so or not.

regards lutz

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:31 am

Making a 2in1 results in loss of flexibility we have gained with using plugins .. m2c
Lg

Roman

magicamun
master

Postby magicamun » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:55 am

yes that's true

pvo

Postby pvo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:15 pm

magicamun wrote:grouping tv and epg ...- it should be quite easy - ....it'll become one "application" then. What shall happen to the Options of both apps ?

I think of having two separate applications that have separate config files but share one row in the main menu. I don't know how flexible the menu creation code is, however.

magicamun
master

Postby magicamun » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:57 pm

pvo wrote:
magicamun wrote:grouping tv and epg ...- it should be quite easy - ....it'll become one "application" then. What shall happen to the Options of both apps ?

I think of having two separate applications that have separate config files but share one row in the main menu. I don't know how flexible the menu creation code is, however.

that is sth for > 1.1.0

Return to “feature requests”