Simple wishes

Moderator: Moderator

alancio

Simple wishes

Postby alancio » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:27 pm

Hello world,

This is my first post to the forum, although I've been a MMS user for some time.

I think its better to share my thoughts with other users, rather than mailing this directly to Anders, maybe somebody has some comments on my wishes.

These are based on mms 1.1.0rc4:

- Separate the standard theme into standard - dark and standard -bright. That way I can switch between dark and light by selecting different themes from MMS instead of running the make-theme-dark.sh and make-theme-bright.sh. I could also remove one of them to save space.

- Make the mouse pointer vanish. When using MMS with SDL and fullscreen = true and no WM, the mouse pointer appears for some seconds while starting mplayer, and then again when mplayer finishes. This looks a bit unprofessional. I know about the unclutter program, but I was thinking about using the Xfixes extension and calling XFixesHideCursor in MMS

- Error messages, and anything that goes to stdout and stderr should NOT be translated

- More flexible menu. I would like to be able to change my main menu, sort it differently, maybe disable some function, and add my own entry that runs an external program, etc.
I know I can disable/enable some functions, but I want to do more than that.
In my particular case I would like to have the Movies entry first, I would like to remove the Quit entry, and I would like to add two additional entries that would play random music videos, and random OpenGL demos.

Thats all for now, what do you think?

Alan

acmelabs
Overlord

Re: Simple wishes

Postby acmelabs » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:48 pm

alancio wrote:Hello world,
Hello Alan
This is my first post to the forum, although I've been a MMS user for some time.

I think its better to share my thoughts with other users, rather than mailing this directly to Anders, maybe somebody has some comments on my wishes.

These are based on mms 1.1.0rc4:

- Separate the standard theme into standard - dark and standard -bright. That way I can switch between dark and light by selecting different themes from MMS instead of running the make-theme-dark.sh and make-theme-bright.sh. I could also remove one of them to save space.
Yes - we really should do this. For me it's easier to maintain one version. I don't even know whether someone is using this bright version at all. Guess a poll would be good
- Make the mouse pointer vanish. When using MMS with SDL and fullscreen = true and no WM, the mouse pointer appears for some seconds while starting mplayer, and then again when mplayer finishes. This looks a bit unprofessional. I know about the unclutter program, but I was thinking about using the Xfixes extension and calling XFixesHideCursor in MMS
Did you look this bug up in our bug-base? I think, If filed something similar already. If not, feel free.
- Error messages, and anything that goes to stdout and stderr should NOT be translated
As far as I know, this has nothing to do with translation. It's the language MMS is running on. Or do you have a sample? If it's in the po files, and goes out to stdout or stderr it's a bug.
- More flexible menu. I would like to be able to change my main menu, sort it differently, maybe disable some function, and add my own entry that runs an external program, etc.
I know I can disable/enable some functions, but I want to do more than that.
In my particular case I would like to have the Movies entry first, I would like to remove the Quit entry, and I would like to add two additional entries that would play random music videos, and random OpenGL demos.
This discussion is postponed until version 1.2.0 comes in reach. Feel free to discuss with us. Even Flex and ActionScript were already discussed for a flexible MMS menu
Thats all for now, what do you think?

Alan

Welcome to the forum :D

Regards,
Andreas

alancio

Postby alancio » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:08 am

Thanks for your response.

Yes - we really should do this. For me it's easier to maintain one version. I don't even know whether someone is using this bright version at all. Guess a poll would be good

I use the bright version :wink:

Did you look this bug up in our bug-base? I think, If filed something similar already. If not, feel free.

I filed a new one. Good thing that the bug system doesn't use captchas, because I had a hard time registering for the forum.

As far as I know, this has nothing to do with translation. It's the language MMS is running on. Or do you have a sample? If it's in the po files, and goes out to stdout or stderr it's a bug.

Well, then it would be my fault because I'm the spanish translator :roll:. But in my defense, the translations are in the mms.po file, and sometimes its hard to know where the translation is going to be displayed.

For example:

Code: Select all

msgid "There is no disc in the drive"
msgstr "No hay disco en la unidad"

Its not clear where this goes.
I think there shouldn't even be a call to gettext() for error messages.
BTW, the code would look better by using:

#define gettext(a) _(a)

And then:

bash$ sed -i -e 's|gettext(|_(|g' *

This reminds me of another problem with translations:

msgid "Unknown token '"
msgstr "Directiva desconocida '"

msgid "' on line "
msgstr "' en línea "

I think should be:

msgid "Unknown token '%s' in line %d"
msgstr ...

Because sometimes when splitting phrases into two translations makes translators end up with an incoherent phrase.

Best regards,
Alan

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:36 am

alancio wrote:- Separate the standard theme into standard - dark and standard -bright. That way I can switch between dark and light by selecting different themes from MMS instead of running the make-theme-dark.sh and make-theme-bright.sh. I could also remove one of them to save space.

That is possible right now!
Just copy standard-theme to standard-bright and run make-theme-bright.sh ... finsihed! You have 2 themes, one dark and one bright!
One could even save space by just linking things!

For to post them here, they shouldn't be translated, but for comfort of the user ...

- More flexible menu. I would like to be able to change my main menu, sort it differently

That's possible right now! Just look at:

# grep -r "priority()" *
plugins/feature/audio/audio_plugin.cpp:  int priority() const { return 1; }
plugins/feature/epg/epg_plugin.cpp:  int priority() const { return 4; }
plugins/feature/game/game_plugin.cpp:  int priority() const { return 2; }
plugins/feature/clock/clock_plugin.cpp:  int priority() const { return 3; }
plugins/feature/movie/movie_collection_plugin.cpp:  int priority() const { return 2; }
plugins/feature/movie/movie_plugin.cpp:  int priority() const { return 2; }
plugins/feature/picture/pictures_plugin.cpp:  int priority() const { return 3; }
plugins/feature/python/python_plugin.cpp:  int priority() const { return 3; }
plugins/feature/tv/tv_plugin.cpp:  int priority() const { return 3; }
plugins/feature/vbox/vbox_plugin.cpp:  int priority() const { return 3; }
plugins/feature/weather/weather_plugin.cpp:  int priority() const { return 3; }

add my own entry that runs an external program
Look at:
http://forum.mymediasystem.org/viewtopic.php?t=1023
Lg
Roman

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:52 pm

Lg

Roman

lorenzodes
master

Postby lorenzodes » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:26 pm

alancio wrote:This reminds me of another problem with translations:

msgid "Unknown token '"
msgstr "Directiva desconocida '"

msgid "' on line "
msgstr "' en línea "

I think should be:

msgid "Unknown token '%s' in line %d"
msgstr ...

That I would not go for... One wrong or missing translation could crash mms. In general, however, the idea of having errors in English is a good one, it would help with debugging. Bear in mind, though, that normal users might rather read them in their native language, so that they get to know why some operation has failed.

Ideally, this would be material for a new command line switch to use to report bugs, i.e. one that forces the highest verbosity (which is otherwise set via the Config file) and disables translations.

Because sometimes when splitting phrases into two translations makes translators end up with an incoherent phrase.

Best regards,
Alan

Yeah, but IMHO preventing the risk of crashing mms due to a wrong translations is worth the hassle
"I’m not frightened of dying, anytime will do, I don’t mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There’s no reason for it, you gotta go sometime"

jameshofo

Postby jameshofo » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:22 pm

I haven't gotten a chance to use this yet but it will most likely be the set up in my house soon. Just wondering is there currently an option to set pin codes on certain movies that are R rated etc.? I want to set this up so kids could use it but I really want to put limits on access. thanks!

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:33 am

The mouse cursor thing is a really good idea. I added it as revno 2035 (new entry in Config). Thanks for the tip :)

Return to “feature requests”