Maybe new plugin for your own "DVD collection"?

Moderator: Moderator

mydani

Maybe new plugin for your own "DVD collection"?

Postby mydani » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:05 pm

Hello all,

I don't know how you guys handle that - so I'll first explain what it's all about...

I have a more or less big collection of DVDs (about 300) and they're all in numbered DVD cases in a cupboard. Today I maintain a list containing the numbers and the corresponding dvd title - and this really sucks...

Now my question - wouldn't it be nice to have a plugin that actually makes it possible to add a currently inserted DVD to kind of a list / your own "DVD collection"?

E.g. insert the DVD, change to the plugin, get IMDB info and then add the corresponding number of the DVD case. What you get is a nice list of your DVD collection including number, cover and IMDB information.

Is this of value for someone in here? ;)

Regards,
Daniel

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:31 pm

We already have the movie collection plugin that more or less does this. It just needs to support additional information like the number system you're using. Have you tried the plugin?

mydani

Postby mydani » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:08 pm

Hello Arj,

I never got how exactly this plugin works! The movie collection was always empty, even if I had played several DVDs before.
Can I read somewhere how exactly this collection is meant to be used?

Yes, the numbering scheme would be a great benefit from my point of view. Or maybe a "tagging" system that allows more than numbers.

Regards,
Daniel

acmelabs
Overlord

Postby acmelabs » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:28 am

mydani wrote:Hello Arj,

I never got how exactly this plugin works! The movie collection was always empty, even if I had played several DVDs before.

Hehe, maybe it should really be called "IMDB Lookup". Read here:
http://forum.mymediasystem.org/viewtopi ... collection

Regards,
Andreas

mydani

Postby mydani » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:39 pm

Hello,

sounds very nice!! So how about an extension to support

A) numbering/tagging of movies (and maybe sorting based on the tag)

and

B) adding movies which can't be found in the IMDB. (e.g. my collection of Top Gear DVDs *G).

If I ever find a nice solution to build mms on my dualcore running win (instead of my epia *yawn*) I'll take care of these features myself.

Regards,
Daniel

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:24 pm

mydani wrote:A) numbering/tagging of movies (and maybe sorting based on the tag)

Yeah, we should just make it a general input field where the user can add whatever he wants. Although the tagging would probably require some sort of way to use it again. Searching for it would be easy so that would be a good start. That can also be used for the numbering system.

mydani wrote:B) adding movies which can't be found in the IMDB. (e.g. my collection of Top Gear DVDs *G).

Are you really sure you want to input a lot of information on the remote? :) It's quite painful. Maybe only the title is needed, in which case it wouldn't be so bad.

mydani wrote:If I ever find a nice solution to build mms on my dualcore running win (instead of my epia *yawn*) I'll take care of these features myself.

Install ubuntu in a virtual machine? :D

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:24 pm

acmelabs wrote:
mydani wrote:Hello Arj,

Hehe, maybe it should really be called "IMDB Lookup". Read here:
http://forum.mymediasystem.org/viewtopi ... collection

Yes! We really need to rethink the name ;-)

mydani

Postby mydani » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:41 pm

arj wrote:Are you really sure you want to input a lot of information on the remote? :) It's quite painful. Maybe only the title is needed, in which case it wouldn't be so bad.

Yes I am ;) There aren't so many DVDs in my collection which can't be found in the imdb I think, and for these few it would definitely be enough to add the title!

arj wrote:
mydani wrote:If I ever find a nice solution to build mms on my dualcore running win (instead of my epia *yawn*) I'll take care of these features myself.

Did that but was not really lucky with that - maybe I'll retry. Do you develop using the same mechanism?

Regards!

acmelabs
Overlord

Postby acmelabs » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:10 pm

arj wrote:Yes! We really need to rethink the name ;-)

Don't know if it helps, I think the whole plugin is way odd. It has very limited (single focus) purpose but occupies an icon in the startmenu, where as one has to press 3 or more keys in order to reach a Pyglet. Following this logic one could also demand an extra icon for getting lyrics for songs.
But I know that this discussion fits more into the 1.2.0 corner.

Suggestion:
    what about an virtual extra folder in "Movies" called "Movie Lookup" (or stuff), and all entries are also stored in the local db, which can also be found by global search. This (IMO) would be by far more consistent and less confusing.

Regards,
Andreas

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:07 pm

mydani wrote:
arj wrote:Are you really sure you want to input a lot of information on the remote? :) It's quite painful. Maybe only the title is needed, in which case it wouldn't be so bad.

Yes I am ;) There aren't so many DVDs in my collection which can't be found in the imdb I think, and for these few it would definitely be enough to add the title!

arj wrote:

Did that but was not really lucky with that - maybe I'll retry. Do you develop using the same mechanism?

Dear god no. I stay away from Windows whenever I can. But I've had quite some success the other way (running windows inside Linux :-)) so you might have the same :-)

Return to “feature requests”