Merging TV and EPG plugins

Moderator: Moderator

ajd

Merging TV and EPG plugins

Postby ajd » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:35 pm

Would it be possible to merge the TV and EPG plugins? It seems to me that it would be cleaner and simpler to have one TV-EPG plugin where you enter the plugin and see the EPG, then to see info about a show you could press "i" and pressing "Enter" would launch the TV viewer either directly to that channel and show if it was currently playing, or launch vdr's timer/programmer/record menu if the show is in the future.

Note that I'm not currently using vdr as I don't have the necessary TV card in my computer (yet!). So I'm not sure how this would play with vdr, but it seems a more logical use of MMS menu space to me.

Thoughts?

cheers,
ajd

acmelabs
Overlord

Re: Merging TV and EPG plugins

Postby acmelabs » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:12 pm

ajd wrote:Would it be possible to merge the TV and EPG plugins? It seems to me that it would be cleaner and simpler to have one TV-EPG plugin where you enter the plugin and see the EPG, then to see info about a show you could press "i" and pressing "Enter" would launch the TV viewer either directly to that channel and show if it was currently playing, or launch vdr's timer/programmer/record menu if the show is in the future.

Note that I'm not currently using vdr as I don't have the necessary TV card in my computer (yet!). So I'm not sure how this would play with vdr, but it seems a more logical use of MMS menu space to me.

Thoughts?

cheers,
ajd

This idea isn't new - but I'm very happy you mention it.
I had a different approach. I wanted to set timers vie EPG. But it's also a good idea to switch to the appropriate channel to. If the weather plugin is in a more or less usable state, I will think at least about about a "set VDR recording via EPG" patch.
This isn't too hard, since you only need to send a few infos via netcat to VDR.

Regards
Andreas

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:47 am

In the very early days of 1.1.0 development I added support for watching tv simply by adding a channel -> freq mapping and picking the right frequency and launched mplayer when pressing the return key on a channel. This has since been added since I've been talked into using VDR :-)

But I really agree that this would be a nice feature as to bridge the gap. Starting with a simple start vdr with the right channel would be cool. Then I could leave out the --enable-tv when compiling :)

The support could easily be done in two steps, I don't think we need the record right away, although it would be really, really nice to have :-)

Sounds like acmelabs is a good candidate for doing this? What do you say?

Return to “feature requests”