Get rid of mplayer as preferred video player

Moderator: Moderator

lorenzodes
master

Get rid of mplayer as preferred video player

Postby lorenzodes » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:28 pm

As the title says.

This, of course, would require someone to code a video player for mms.

Reasons for this request:

1) thumbnail creation is slow. Now mms launches mplayer to get movie duration and, again, to create the thumbnail (which, often, mmplayer saves in the wrong size/aspect ratio)

2) mms supports movie playing inside its own window. Unfortunately mplayer doesn't cooperate well (see the input problem in slave mode or various hangs reported here), plus the opengl output plugin can't take advantage of this feature... it's a shame because it could provide zoom and hardware scaling

3) I want animated thumbnails!!!

4) someone, a while ago, mentioned on IRC that the guys at xbmc are developing their own movie player... hey, the competition is leaping forward!

Please, discuss and let me know if you're interested.
"I’m not frightened of dying, anytime will do, I don’t mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There’s no reason for it, you gotta go sometime"

acmelabs
Overlord

Re: Get rid of mplayer as preferred video player

Postby acmelabs » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:00 pm

lorenzodes wrote:As the title says.

This, of course, would require someone to code a video player for mms.

Reasons for this request:

1) thumbnail creation is slow. Now mms launches mplayer to get movie duration and, again, to create the thumbnail (which, often, mmplayer saves in the wrong size/aspect ratio)

2) mms supports movie playing inside its own window. Unfortunately mplayer doesn't cooperate well (see the input problem in slave mode or various hangs reported here), plus the opengl output plugin can't take advantage of this feature... it's a shame because it could provide zoom and hardware scaling

3) I want animated thumbnails!!!

4) someone, a while ago, mentioned on IRC that the guys at xbmc are developing their own movie player... hey, the competition is leaping forward!

Please, discuss and let me know if you're interested.

I second that feature request - although it means tons of work.
But to have a simple player as first approach would be really cool

Regards,
Andreas

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:36 pm

Animated thumbnails would be nice, too ;)

But isn't that ressource hungry and slow again?

If thinking of animated thumbs, I always have to think of "pictures" in Harry Potter ;)
Lg
Roman

lorenzodes
master

Postby lorenzodes » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:48 pm

Uatschitchun wrote:Animated thumbnails would be nice, too ;)

But isn't that ressource hungry and slow again?

My idea is to animate only the thumbnail of the selected movie. I'm confident I will be able to provide some code in a few days. Nothing big, just a demo using FFMPEG and Opengl.

If thinking of animated thumbs, I always have to think of "pictures" in Harry Potter ;)

??? Harry Potter uses mms too?
"I’m not frightened of dying, anytime will do, I don’t mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There’s no reason for it, you gotta go sometime"

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:27 am

lorenzodes wrote:??? Harry Potter uses mms too?

Don't think so, but photographs in the stories are not just stills, but little animated sequences ...
In this clip (around 0:50) you see an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1PrNqlZ_6c
Lg

Roman

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:04 pm

Yes, the interface for talking to mplayer is terrible. Xine and Gstreamer are libraries so they are much easier to interface with. Perhaps we should provide a better way for the opengl plugin to use the video players.

lorenzodes
master

Postby lorenzodes » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:17 pm

arj wrote:Yes, the interface for talking to mplayer is terrible. Xine and Gstreamer are libraries so they are much easier to interface with. Perhaps we should provide a better way for the opengl plugin to use the video players.

It's not just a matter of talking to the player, the latter should also be able to render to an opengl texture :(

The player I am coding (which I unhumbly named mmsplayer) does that already.

Status of the project is pre-alpha: it decodes and displays video (synced to external clock). No audio yet. There are some bugs, there's a single movie file it can't sync properly for some reason and the opengl drivers of my nvidia card are driving me mad, because they fail at displaying large movies (Full HD, meaning large textures) without giving an error, till they crash. Ironicly the "Standard" (i.e. compatibility/legacy) mode of the opengl output plugin works fine, but it is also the slower of the bunch.

I have rewritten large parts of the opengl output plugin that eventually will be merged mainstream (regardless of weather the player gets implemented or not).

If, and it is a big if, I ever manage to find a workaround for the drivers bug, I will continue the development, otherwise it is pointless, because rendering of full HD titles (using the standard mode: no DMA transfers, no memory mapping) is slower with opengl than with xv.

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:08 pm

Full HD as in 1080p? My AMD X2 3600+ has serious trouble rendering that with mplayer but this is mostly a problem given the single-threaded nature of the ffmpeg h264 decoder.

lorenzodes
master

Postby lorenzodes » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:59 am

arj wrote:Full HD as in 1080p? My AMD X2 3600+ has serious trouble rendering that with mplayer but this is mostly a problem given the single-threaded nature of the ffmpeg h264 decoder.

I have solved the driver issue and now the player displays Full HD movies properly. You're right about the decoder being a bottleneck, but this is something we cant' solve :(

Another bottleneck is colorspace conversion (from some YUV flavor -> to RGB) which is done via the sws_scale() API. If you're rendering to XV, you can skip that part because most graphic cards support YUV overlays, but if you use OpenGL... I have to find a way to delegate that part to the GPU, or I will never get smooth full HD playback. Maybe using shaders...

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:14 am

Ok. I remember seeing this post a while ago. I hope it helps:

http://www.mdk.org.pl/2007/11/17/gl-col ... onversions

lorenzodes
master

Postby lorenzodes » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:44 am

arj wrote:Ok. I remember seeing this post a while ago. I hope it helps:

http://www.mdk.org.pl/2007/11/17/gl-col ... onversions

Yep. It requires 3 texture units and 3 separate texture buffer transfers. I am not into GLSL programming but I guess it can be reduced to just one texture (actually 2 texture units, but just 1 buffer transfer) with a bit of programming gymnick.

Besides that, I have rethought the issue: mms is not an opengl based media system and it's supposed to work on older hardware as well. The pixel shader object I am thinking of might not work on an nVidia Geforce 5x00 card, for example...

I will probably try it as a coding exercise, but I don't think this should be implemented in mms.

esprit
master

Postby esprit » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:25 pm

As long as the old hardware owners can still use mplayer and fixed thumbnails, I don't see any problem in having your player require recent hardware.

So we have :
- eye-candy, fully openGL optimized MMS for recent hardware
- lightweight MMS (which is an important thing considering the other media centers) for old or "small sized" hardware.

Return to “feature requests”