What is new in 1.1.0

everything about the current big update and the latest stable branch

Moderator: Moderator

acmelabs
Overlord

Postby acmelabs » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:36 pm

arj wrote:They are only for show. I thought about having left-right work with it but that won't work in all feature plugins.

Got TV (xinelibouput/vdr-sxfe) working with 1.1.0 :D, no bugs so far!

Regards,
Andreas

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:50 pm

nice :)

Update to first post.

acmelabs
Overlord

Postby acmelabs » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:19 pm

arj wrote:They are only for show. I thought about having left-right work with it but that won't work in all feature plugins.

Here's the search icon for 1.1.0

The rest is located
http://mms.mymediasystem.net/mms-1.1.0/search-icons

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:03 am

I have updated the first post. I think it describes all the new stuff.

I'll just add my internal TODO here:

Code: Select all

- fix inotify so that it works correctly in all cases
- fix epg.
  - currently it parses the whole xml file on startup (very slow)
  - the tv, channel mapping was thought out long before we got VDR
   integration. It needs to be rethought.

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Fri May 11, 2007 8:03 pm

I have added a new view for movie and movie collection. It's sort of a mix between non-graphical view and graphical view. I think it's quite nice since it captures the best of both (a lot of space for filenames + picture of movie so that you know what movie it is). Furthermore for imdb movies there's room for displaying spicy information next to the image on the display. I would like to thank John Douglas whose work this is based on.

Obligatory screenshot:

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Sat May 12, 2007 8:00 am

Nice!

A little remark would be a question of consistency ...
In audio album-view we have cover on the left and titles on the right. If the new movie-view is mirrored (cover+infos left), wouldn't it go better with it?

Although seeing only covers makes choosing a movie little easier cause one can search for cover & title.

Is this new view configureable at runtime (options)?
Lg
Roman

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Sat May 12, 2007 2:48 pm

Uatschitchun wrote:A little remark would be a question of consistency ...
In audio album-view we have cover on the left and titles on the right. If the new movie-view is mirrored (cover+infos left), wouldn't it go better with it?

Yeah that's a good question. I actually like the information on the right. I could try and do that for audio just to see how it works.

Uatschitchun wrote:Although seeing only covers makes choosing a movie little easier cause one can search for cover & title.

Is this new view configureable at runtime (options)?

Currently no. I played with the idea (in my head) and have come to the conclusion that for movies in almost all cases it should be better to have it as a list + preview pane.

Actually there's several variations of this: list only, pictures + small text only, list with preview pane, pictures with preview pane.

The problem I had with both of the picture solutions is that there's not enough room for the filename.

Basicly as I see it there's two kinds of movie types: imdb movies and normal movies (could be music videos). For imdb you really want the extra stuff (preview pane) but the name is not always that important. But for normal movies the filename is often the most important thing, while the preview is ok but not the most important information.

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Sun May 13, 2007 7:22 pm

arj wrote:
Uatschitchun wrote:A little remark would be a question of consistency ...

Yeah that's a good question. I actually like the information on the right. I could try and do that for audio just to see how it works.

As an experiment I have now done that in revno 872. The first couple of minutes it is bound to look very wrong since one has been used to looking at it in the exact opposite view.

I would really like some feedback on this, but be sure to test it at least an hour or so before making your judgment as it might ofterwise be quite colored :)

PT
veteran

Postby PT » Mon May 14, 2007 12:15 am

Hi Anders,

I much better like the current movie browser. The new one looks very "computer like" and therefore, to me, pretty ugly with no WAF (compared to the current).

IMO it would be better if you spend some time to seriously change to a better graphic library, since no one can operate mms with for example a mouse (this is a "must") and the newbie code with fixed positions is a big problem. If you do that it would be mandatory if the positions on the screen are relative and not depends of the screen resolution.

Can't say if I have the time, but if I have, then I may help you to develop a professional theme (and we should go for a 3D theme).

Don't take my words personal. Keep up the good work, but IMO, this is waste of time.

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Mon May 14, 2007 4:17 pm

Besides it is nothing core-related ... :twisted:

arj wrote:
Uatschitchun wrote:Is this new view configureable at runtime (options)?

Currently no. I played with the idea (in my head) and have come to the conclusion that for movies in almost all cases it should be better to have it as a list + preview pane.

I really did like the old style more ... cause:
In first place I like to search for a movie. That way displaying them (in a consistent way - we have no filelists anymore) and choosing one is the most importat thing.
Movie-Information comes second and is only needed for a movie I'm interested in (therefore an extra keypress is not that bad), not while browsing!

For imdb you really want the extra stuff (preview pane)

Sure?
That forces the user to fetch imdb-infos for to make it look good ;(

And the infos I see while browsing are really uninteresting! Genre, Playtime ... If I like to see infos, then I like to see the summary ... therefore a keypress is needed!
Ergo: No advantage from the new view!

Sorry for these 2 cents :P

At least if it would be configureable ...
Lg

Roman

lorenzodes
master

Postby lorenzodes » Mon May 14, 2007 4:32 pm

Uatschitchun wrote:At least if it would be configureable ...

Uhm... Somehow, somewhere I think that mms should report full information about files( be it movie or music files), CDs and DVDs. I like the "old" way mms presented movie files because of the thumbnails, but that is little more than just eye-candy: I want more, I want to be able to read the full name (if it is too long it was truncated), stats about it, imdb information and all. Like Anders, the first thing I do before I watch a movie is launch my web browser and look up the movie in imdb. I do it before going to the cinema and I do it before renting/buying a DVD. Sometimes I have to show my wife good reviews about the movie I am about to watch or she won't watch it with me .... and I don't enjoy watching movies alone. :P

We are at a point where we need good ideas to implement a "show all the info about this movie" feature. And the same about music. And in playlists too. Does anyone have an idea as to how we could accomplish that in a mms way? By "mms way" I mean "mms is the wife-friendly media system".
"I’m not frightened of dying, anytime will do, I don’t mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There’s no reason for it, you gotta go sometime"

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Mon May 14, 2007 7:06 pm

I would just like to add that one of the reasons for wanting to create this mode was fixing this bug (http://bugs.mymediasystem.org/?do=details&task_id=68 (stupid smilies ;-)). A quite bad bug IMHO since it makes it almost impossible to watch a series in MMS. I couldn't figure out a way to make it work with the old way of displaying files.

acmelabs
Overlord

Postby acmelabs » Tue May 15, 2007 7:14 am

arj wrote:
Uatschitchun wrote:
Lorenzodes wrote:

Well, I thought about the new movie menu, and after long, deep and thorough staring into space (with my mouth open) - I came to my personal conclusion, that I like the old style better.
Lorenzodes and Uatschitchuns points have been already mentioned.

Sorry, Regards,

Andreas

esprit
master

Postby esprit » Wed May 23, 2007 5:19 pm

Are movies playlists planned for 1.1.0 ?
A friend of mine started using mms recently, and this was his first request :D

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Wed May 23, 2007 9:56 pm

I can't remember if it was reporting in the bug db otherwise please add it. It's a feature I would like to see but currently I'm quite busy fixing all the bugs Roman has reported (/making 1.1.0 stable) :D

Return to “1.1.x”