master

Re: MMS - Listener-Plugin - a Case Study

Postby magicamun » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:26 pm

bitte

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:22 pm

Please let me know if you have any problems with the mpd interface if you try it. I tried with sonata and theory.

fuzzcore

Postby fuzzcore » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:35 pm

arj wrote:Please let me know if you have any problems with the mpd interface if you try it. I tried with sonata and theory.

It works, kind of. I am pleased :)
Cool thing indeed. Now let's close in on some rough edges...
I tested it with yesterday's bzr and the clients sonata, ncmpc, pygmy and ario

Ario won't connect at all. The other clients connect only periodically, except for ncmpc which seems to be able to connect any time. (This is my first impression, we might have to conduct a more empirical study here ;) )

Here's what I experienced with sonata, ncmpc, pygmy (they all behaved the same way).
+ I am able to start/stop/pause songs with the clients and mms updates its screen accordingly (main menu and standby screen). It also automatically plays the next track in line after the first finished.
+ I am able to change the volume, too.

- Except for volume, NO changes/status are reflected in the GUI. Eg. Sonata doesn't show that a track is playing, it doesn't show the progress, nothing. It even says "stopped" (angehalten) in the status line. ncmpc didn't show a progressbar either, and claimed the first track of the playlist was playing (it wasn't). Generally, there seems to be a problem with the clients receiving/understanding updates from Listener.

- When a track is playing, trying to start a different song from the playlist in one of the clients causes mms to restart playback of the song it is currently playing. Eg. If Iron Maiden is playing and I select Britney Spears in one of the clients, the Maiden song is played from the beginning.

- I can't skip to the next or previous track.

- Adding songs via client doesn't work (not implemented, if the wiki is up to date)

Okay, that's it for now...
I'll try to pop into IRC tomorrow evening or the day after. If you have any comments in the mean time, let me know.

magicamun
master

Postby magicamun » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:44 pm

some of your "findings" are arj's some could be mine. I will be at irc on Friday 3rd later - but not tomorrow. I don't know about arj.

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:41 pm

Thanks for the very nice testing. I've been fixing stuff left and right. Now here sonata is running much smoother. Prev, next and info is working.

Could you try again and see how it now works for you?

Thanks!

fuzzcore

Postby fuzzcore » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:57 pm

I will be glad to, but it may take a few days.
I'll be in touch!

fuzzcore

Postby fuzzcore » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:47 pm

Okay, I tested it with rev 2350. It works better now!
Great work, guys.

Generally, songs can now easily be played, stopped, paused and skipped from within sonata, ncmpc, pygmy and -new candidate- qmpdclient. Ario still fails to connect, it won't tell me why. All of the issues mentioned are fixed in the four clients, except the last one: Neither deleting a song from the current playlist, changing the order nor adding another song works (qmpdclient gives an error on command "stats" in the first two cases)
Ah, and forwarding by clicking in the "progress" bar in sonata (or permorming similar actions in other clients) doesn't work.

Some minor glitches: ncmpc shows the current and overall time of the track that is playing, but doesn't show it's name nor does it highlight it (fat, white print). Probably related: When I forward to the next song via the toolbar buttons, sonata, qmpdclient and pygmy show that the next song is playing in the upper part of the window, but don't mark it in their list. I believe that they normally do that.

If you need some other things to be tested, please tell me. I want to help as much as I can (even if I can't code).

Return to “1.2.x”