HandBrake pyglet

Discussion about user contributed plugins

Moderator: Moderator

hobleyd

HandBrake pyglet

Postby hobleyd » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:42 am

Hello,

I am developing a pyglet to allow MMS to encode DVDs with HandBrake. It will encode DVDs now, but the options for HandBrake are all hardcoded right now. I plan to allow some form of selection in future, but have not got to that point as yet.

I have some questions:

1. Where can I upload the tgz to?
2. Has a decision been made regarding configuration standards? Currently I have variables in two places in the .py code, so I might need to change that.
3. I rely on the automounter to mount the DVDs, is this acceptable?

Cheers,
David

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Re: HandBrake pyglet

Postby Uatschitchun » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:54 pm

hobleyd wrote:1. Where can I upload the tgz to?

Mail it, I can host it
2. Has a decision been made regarding configuration standards? Currently I have variables in two places in the .py code, so I might need to change that.

No, sadly not ;( But ideas are welcome!!
Have a look at webtv or zdfmediathek, I like it the way they do it
3. I rely on the automounter to mount the DVDs, is this acceptable?

Needed?
Lg
Roman

magicamun
master

Postby magicamun » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:49 pm

hobleyd wrote:I am developing a pyglet to allow MMS to encode DVDs with HandBrake. It will encode DVDs now, but the options for HandBrake are all hardcoded right now. I plan to allow some form of selection in future, but have not got to that point as yet.

you mean encode or decode?

hobleyd

Postby hobleyd » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:50 pm

magicamun wrote:you mean encode or decode?

HandBrake is technically an encoder, but on Linux it uses the libdvdcss library (if installed) to read the DVDs in order to encode them into a specified format (avi, mkv etc etc). The pyglet currently encodes into mkv (Matroska) as this maintains the DVD chapter markers and allows multiple audio tracks. This should be (and will be) configurable in future.

Cheers,
David

hobleyd

Postby hobleyd » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:27 am

Uatschitchun wrote:
hobleyd wrote:3. I rely on the automounter to mount the DVDs, is this acceptable?

Needed?

The DVD is required to be mounted for HandBrake to read from, so either the automounter or normal mount is required. Automounter is much simpler obviously, but does require configuration at an OS level. Although so does mount as that would have to be sudo'd I guess. No code required for the former though.

It depends what people think - happy to add code if people think it necessary. The automount config is pretty simple though.

Cheers,
David

hobleyd

Re: HandBrake pyglet released

Postby hobleyd » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:40 pm

All,

Version 0.1 of my HandBrake pyglet has been released and is available from http://www.prodeia.de/mms/pyglets. The Wiki has also been updated. It works on Ubuntu 8.04 for me, but there may be unanticipated dependencies (hopefully not - it does require vobcopy to be installed and HandBrakeCLI obviously). Please give it a go and let me know if you have any issues.

The configuration is in handbrake.ini and currently all the HandBrake options are stored in there - you can tweak those to anything you want if you are not happy with the defaults. Currently it does nothing with subtitles, so for European folk you might want to specify --native-language followed by the iso639-2 code (fre, spa, eng etc) to pick those up. I intend to provide options for this later.

You will also need to configure your automount daemon to mount the DVD for you. There are instructions for this in the README. If anyone has issues, let me know and I'll update those instructions.

The threading model appears to work most of the time to provide updates. I think there is an outstanding bug sometimes where it fails to update. Leaving the pyglet and re-entering it fixes that. I am working on tracking this down.

Enjoy!
David

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:29 am

What about a screenie?
Lg

Roman

LivingOn

Postby LivingOn » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:01 am

hi hobleyd,

i can't download the pyglet from http://www.prodeia.de/mms/pyglets, got 403-forbidden ;-/

LivingOn

hobleyd

Postby hobleyd » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:33 am

Uatschitchun wrote:What about a screenie?

Yep. Uploaded now. Looks pretty basic, but I plan on making the HandBrake options selectable in this screen.

hobleyd

Postby hobleyd » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:34 am

LivingOn wrote:hi hobleyd,
i can't download the pyglet from http://www.prodeia.de/mms/pyglets, got 403-forbidden ;-/
LivingOn

That will teach me not to test the download. Roman, can you fix please... Thanks!

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:08 am

Fixed, Sorry ;)
Lg

Roman

Return to “user plugins”