[mplayer] default options, vdpau

Moderator: Moderator

ubitux

[mplayer] default options, vdpau

Postby ubitux » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:59 am

Hi,

I've a little ION platform which make me able to play HD video (h264 1080p) by using the graphic card (nvidia, using VDPAU technology). So I was able to play that kind of stuff without lag using this from ssh:

Code: Select all

DISPLAY=:0.0 mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau here_the_h264_1080p_video.mp4

Second part was to automatically use vdpau or not without having to specifying it. So here it is, in the ~/.mplayer/config file:

vo=vdpau,xv,
vc=ffh264vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau,

Well, that stuff works pretty well to play any kind of video if you have an nvidia vdpau compliant and a recent mplayer compiled from SVN.

But using mymediasystem I had an issue: I've selected mplayer in the option GUI, and then, nothing happens while playing hd videos. In fact there were that kind of weird things in the console:

Error while decoding frame!
[h264_vdpau @ 0xc385a0]get_buffer() failed (-1 0 0 (nil))
[h264_vdpau @ 0xc385a0]decode_slice_header error
[h264_vdpau @ 0xc385a0]no frame!
[h264_vdpau @ 0xc385a0]B picture before any references, skipping

The simple way to solve the issue was to remove -vo xv occurences from the /etc/mms/MplayerConfig. And then, everything was working.

So, I have a question: why do you precise the -vo xv in the default option? I think it's safe to remove it: if I don't set any vo in the .mplayer/config and have a DISPLAY env, xv is selected.

The -cache option seems not to be a problem thought, but the -vo xv one is.
Last edited by ubitux on Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

acmelabs
Overlord

Re: [mplayer] default options, vdpau

Postby acmelabs » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:26 pm

ubitux wrote:...

Excellent posting and brilliant work! :)

I don't know the reason for the presence of "xv" and I don't actually care much about it.
Since MMS still haven't been tested or designed explicitly against 720p/1080p/MPEG4-AVC content in combination with Nvidia's VDPAU, it's not much of a surprise there are issues regarding this matter.
Your solution is one of probably many ways making MMS play nicely with VDPAU. My method is a wrapper script, that throws away all options mplayer gets from MMS, except the file name, and creates its own appropriate switch set.

Nevertheless, it's likely a good idea to second your proposal of leaving out the "xv" from the MplayerConfig.
You could simply create a feature request on this. Feel also free to document this in our Wiki.

Again: Excellent, thanks!

Regards,
Andreas

ubitux

Postby ubitux » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:12 am

acmelabs wrote:
ubitux wrote:...

Excellent posting and brilliant work! :)

Thanks, I didn't expected that kind of reaction :)

acmelabs wrote:I don't know the reason for the presence of "xv" and I don't actually care much about it.
Since MMS still haven't been tested or designed explicitly against 720p/1080p/MPEG4-AVC content in combination with Nvidia's VDPAU, it's not much of a surprise there are issues regarding this matter.
Your solution is one of probably many ways making MMS play nicely with VDPAU. My method is a wrapper script, that throws away all options mplayer gets from MMS, except the file name, and creates its own appropriate switch set.

Your script seems a little bit overkill, no? :D

acmelabs wrote:Nevertheless, it's likely a good idea to second your proposal of leaving out the "xv" from the MplayerConfig.
You could simply create a feature request on this. Feel also free to document this in our Wiki.

Right, so I just made the feature request. I also registered myself in the wiki, but I have no idea where to place it. Any suggestion?

acmelabs
Overlord

Postby acmelabs » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:59 pm

ubitux wrote:
acmelabs wrote:...

• Place your solution into Tips & Tricks (it's only a proposal).
    Call the main header HDTV or something general like that. I've added you to the group of editors, so feel free to mess around ;-)
  • Regarding your feature request: I've voted for it (Click the link "Add Vote" to vote for it). The more votes the more attention it gets. There're not much votes needed for it, since hardly anybody, but the developers knows of this feature ;-)
  • Overkill?, Yes - but I had my reasons. I'd like for example to play AVCHD footage with a different OSD_LEVEL. But it in the back of my mind I always knew it's not _the_solution_ to handle HD stuff this way. Maybe your approach is _the_one_, but I have to think about it, and try it myself first.

Thanks for your contribution anyway!

Regards,
Andreas

ubitux

Postby ubitux » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:05 pm

acmelabs wrote:Place your solution into Tips & Tricks (it's only a proposal).
Call the main header HDTV or something general like that. I've added you to the group of editors, so feel free to mess around ;-)

Al'right, here it is: http://wiki.mymediasystem.org/wiki/inde ... _videos.3F

I've made a little reorganisation (see History) as you ask me for messing around :]

acmelabs wrote:Regarding your feature request: I've voted for it (Click the link "Add Vote" to vote for it). The more votes the more attention it gets. There're not much votes needed for it, since hardly anybody, but the developers knows of this feature ;-)

Yep, I saw that on the forum.

acmelabs wrote:Overkill?, Yes - but I had my reasons. I'd like for example to play AVCHD footage with a different OSD_LEVEL. But it in the back of my mind I always knew it's not _the_solution_ to handle HD stuff this way. Maybe your approach is _the_one_, but I have to think about it, and try it myself first.

Okay ;)

acmelabs
Overlord

Postby acmelabs » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:19 pm

Excellent :)
Thanks a lot

Regards,
Andreas

Return to “general discussion”