adaptive refresh rate

Moderator: Moderator

esprit
master

adaptive refresh rate

Postby esprit » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:04 pm

Hi all,

It's been a long time I didn't post here :oops:

I recently bought a videoprojector, and now I am thinking about building an HD HTPC around MMS in order to replace my old Zenega which i don't use anymore.
The question I have in mind now, which seems to be common to most of HTPC software here, is : what about juddering when playing different kind of video materials ? (i mean some of them are 24 (or 23,976) fps, other 25 fps, other 30 (29.970) fps...).
The best solution seems to be to adapt the refresh rate of the screen to the media rate.
I saw that MMS does now have a switching resolution mode.
Would it be possible to have a refresh rate switching mode ? (using xrandr ?)
And why not an automatic switching mode depending on video content ? (MythTV seems to have such a feature using a patch : http://www.avenard.org/media/Patches_%2 ... rates.html).

I am making a forum post and not a feature request in order to have returns about it (is there interest for such things or not ? am i missing another kind of solution - reclock is not really a solution to me :D )

Let's talk !

acmelabs
Overlord

Re: adaptive refresh rate

Postby acmelabs » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:59 pm

esprit wrote:Hi all,

It's been a long time I didn't post here :oops:

I recently bought a videoprojector, and now I am thinking about building an HD HTPC around MMS in order to replace my old Zenega which i don't use anymore.
The question I have in mind now, which seems to be common to most of HTPC software here, is : what about juddering when playing different kind of video materials ? (i mean some of them are 24 (or 23,976) fps, other 25 fps, other 30 (29.970) fps...).
The best solution seems to be to adapt the refresh rate of the screen to the media rate.
I saw that MMS does now have a switching resolution mode.
Would it be possible to have a refresh rate switching mode ? (using xrandr ?)
And why not an automatic switching mode depending on video content ? (MythTV seems to have such a feature using a patch : http://www.avenard.org/media/Patches_%2 ... rates.html).

I am making a forum post and not a feature request in order to have returns about it (is there interest for such things or not ? am i missing another kind of solution - reclock is not really a solution to me :D )

Let's talk !

It's good you're back again. :)

Yeah, juddering is a PITA, and beside a bunch of modlines + the resize thingie I don't have any other clue. The info with MythTV is new to me.
Well, I'm also tense to see, if anybody else does have an idea or solution for it.

Regards,
Andreas

Return to “general discussion”