black screen after mplayer

everything about the next not so big update

Moderator: Moderator

igult

black screen after mplayer

Postby igult » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:47 am

Hi,

I have a problem when using keyboard as input. After quiting mplayer/scummvm/xmame or other external program, only a complete blank screen appears. when using lirc as input this does not happen or is extremely rare. but with keyboard very often.

I have running mms directly on X without any window manager using sdl in fullscreen on xubuntu on a s100 box (zenega). there is no blocked audio, i can play audio over ssh flawlessly. mplayer process exited cleanly, no zombie process. i checked if the wait-function in the parent process exits, and it does, so the problem seems to be after leaving the run_without_kill-method (sorry, cannot remember the correct name, it is the function with fork() ).

Eventually this is conntected to the sdl renderer-lock/unlock-call after that, because mms is inresponsive without cpu load so it looks like a mutex/systemcall hang.

Is there anything already known about this behaviour ? if not i will try to debug this. only possibility to leave is a x-server restart.

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:08 am

Try setting the resolution in config to your desired one and disable fullscreen!

Code: Select all

v_res = ???
h_res = ???

fullscreen = false

Lg
Roman

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:40 am

So the problem is that MMS freezes or is it a redraw bug in which you can still navigate around albeit a somewhat in blind?

igult

Postby igult » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:14 pm

it is a real hang. you cannot start mplayer again by pressing enter or start music. i will try not to start in fullscreen as mentioned. my screen resolution in the config file is 720x576. switching using xrandr before and after mplayer to 640x480 and back shows no difference.

igult

Postby igult » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:29 pm

ok, disabling fullscreen works without hang. I tried it many times, no hang appeared. Problem seems to be related to switching back to fullscreen when no windowmanager is running.

thanks for the hint

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:00 am

Have you tried using a simple window manager such as openbox? It really takes up almost no memory.

igult

Postby igult » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:46 pm

I just wanted to save every memory I can because this box has only 128mb RAM and a shared memory graphics so there is really not much left.

I tried fvwm first, but the problem is if you have an application that does not support fullscreen by itself, you have a window decoration around it.

Without every window manager now everything works very fine, I can use MMS with remote and keyboard simultaneously.

One thing I have to note : If you disable fullscreen and the application has finished, you have the mouse pointer back in the middle of the screen. I hacked the source so after a call of an external program the mouse is warped outside the visual range. Eventually there is the possibility for a config-flag that the mouse is hidden if not in fullscreen mode.

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:55 pm

igult wrote:because this box has only 128mb RAM

Tipp: Use gstreamer as audio! It uses far less memory than alsaplayer ...

esprit
master

Postby esprit » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:36 pm

another light wm is ratpoison :
possibility to launch command (mms) at startup, no decoration, possibility to mask the mouse cursor ("banish"), very low memory usage...

Return to “1.0.9”