REQUEST: HDTV-Readiness

everything about the next not so big update

Moderator: Moderator

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:07 pm

Ok lets get constructive then. I'll just think out loud here.

In order to have what we want we should use resolution independent (float between 0 and 1 instead of 0 to v_res) positions of stuff on the screen. Furthermore we should use an svg library to generate icons and images of the theme in the right resolution. Perhaps with some cache if it turns out to be slow or there's no cache.

So that's the two main tasks in order to get what we want. It's not rocket science. It's a matter of going through all the files and removing all the ugly if cases. But one thing that would be nice is if we can agree on a resolution where MMS looks best. I've been running MMS in 720 and 1280 and I like 1280 the best. What do you guys think about this?

The svg stuff is a matter of learning the api of librsvg (I think it's called) and use that.

So it's doable it just takes time, like everything else :D

acmelabs
Overlord

Postby acmelabs » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:43 pm

arj wrote:Ok lets get constructive then. I'll just think out loud here.

In order to have what we want we should use resolution independent (float between 0 and 1 instead of 0 to v_res) positions of stuff on the screen. Furthermore we should use an svg library to generate icons and images of the theme in the right resolution. Perhaps with some cache if it turns out to be slow or there's no cache.

So that's the two main tasks in order to get what we want. It's not rocket science. It's a matter of going through all the files and removing all the ugly if cases. But one thing that would be nice is if we can agree on a resolution where MMS looks best. I've been running MMS in 720 and 1280 and I like 1280 the best. What do you guys think about this?

The svg stuff is a matter of learning the api of librsvg (I think it's called) and use that.

So it's doable it just takes time, like everything else :D

Ok, wait - I'll go and get the champagne :D
Yippee!!!

And "Yes!" 1280x720 looks also here best!

And of course I will provide every Icon in every size is needed! And I'm not in a hurry or something :-D

Cheerful regards,
Andreas

lorenzodes
master

Postby lorenzodes » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:13 pm

Uatschitchun wrote:
arj wrote:I think Lorenzodes opengl solution is sufficient right now.

You know well that it probably will depend on opengl >= 2.1?

I know that's no problem with nvidia ... but ati did release an opengl 2.1 enabled driver a week ago ... not to mention others with different gfx-cards. Mesa supports opengl 2.1 even only since latest version (7.0).

Conclusion:
Only latest and up-to-date systems may benefit ... :roll:

Uhmmmm... no. I have rewritten it to be compatible with any opengl newer than 1.4.
"I’m not frightened of dying, anytime will do, I don’t mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There’s no reason for it, you gotta go sometime"

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:43 am

lorenzodes wrote:Uhmmmm... no. I have rewritten it to be compatible with any opengl newer than 1.4.

That really is good news :P

Are there disadvantages going along with this rewrite?

P.S As I understand your notes in IRC, there are none, correct?

P.P.S Would be a pleasure to test :twisted:

@arj:
I second doing the rc1 first!
And regarding the work that has to be done, we'll certainly find a way to share that ... I hope :roll:
Lg
Roman

lorenzodes
master

Postby lorenzodes » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:40 pm

Uatschitchun wrote:
lorenzodes wrote:Uhmmmm... no. I have rewritten it to be compatible with any opengl newer than 1.4.

That really is good news :P

Are there disadvantages going along with this rewrite?

it is slightly slower, but not as slower as to make any real difference (at least not on my PC).

Anyway there are 3 rendering methods implemented in the opengl plugin. You can choose the one that is faster for you and that it is implemented by the opengl library that resides on your PC.

P.S As I understand your notes in IRC, there are none, correct?

P.P.S Would be a pleasure to test :twisted:

Drop me a PM with your mail address, I will send you the new version tonight (gotta clean it a bit).
"I’m not frightened of dying, anytime will do, I don’t mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There’s no reason for it, you gotta go sometime"

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:41 pm

lorenzodes wrote:Anyway there are 3 rendering methods implemented in the opengl plugin. You can choose the one that is faster for you and that it is implemented by the opengl library that resides on your PC.

As acmelabs would say: Did I say "thank you" already? :P

Great Job :!:

Drop me a PM with your mail address, I will send you the new version tonight (gotta clean it a bit).

Just use the email-button down below each posts ... Thx
Lg

Roman

lorenzodes
master

Postby lorenzodes » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:03 pm

Uatschitchun wrote:
lorenzodes wrote:Anyway there are 3 rendering methods implemented in the opengl plugin. You can choose the one that is faster for you and that it is implemented by the opengl library that resides on your PC.

As acmelabs would say: Did I say "thank you" already? :P

Great Job :!:

Just use the email-button down below each posts ... Thx

You're a moderator on these forums, this is why you can see the e-mail button. Normal users as I am, can have such option only for other uses that have made their e-mail address public through the appropriate option in the user control panel.

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:19 am

you've got PM ;)
Lg

Roman

Return to “1.0.9”