Alternative StartMenu

everything about the next not so big update

Moderator: Moderator

acmelabs
Overlord

Postby acmelabs » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:05 pm

castorinop wrote:somebody could test the patches?

No, I'm not at home atm for at least one more week. But I'd really like to test it afterwards.

Regards,
Andreas

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:17 pm

Long posts need their time ;)
See page 5
Lg
Roman

castorinop
veteran

Postby castorinop » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:56 pm

Alternative is the first try.. ignore please !!!

I don't know the code of 1.1.0, only for test new features. for 1.1.0, a clean work would be a class extended of starmenu, maybe from Themes too, and select the engine from theme.conf.

Code: Select all

class smClassic : Public Startmenu {
}
class smCircle : Public Startmenu {
}
class smYeCandy : Public Startmenu {
}

Code: Select all

class thClassic : Public Themes {
}
class thCircle : Public Themes {
}
class thYeCandy : Public Themes {
}

this way is very simple (and clean code) extend and generate a new starmenu, but is just a idea..

the startbuttons.patch is a implementation of idea about accesibility. this show buttons (like you remote control) arround of the icon that you can press.

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:25 pm

Hi

Nice work. I especially like the domestic font, it looks great in the startmenu. I tried the patch and it works for me in the 4 modes, but it was somewhat hard to test when one doens't have 4 themes that are exactly made for it. So maybe you could provide a theme for each mode so that one could test it easier?

The changes to the code are very hard (or takes a very long time) to review since there's no comments about why you made the changes. Like what is the cache parameter you added to render::image? Why is it needed? It doesn't have to be very long, just an overview could be great. With the description it will also be easier to see if the code does what is expected from it :)

Regarding integrating it then 1.1.0 is really the way to go. The way I see it is that the menu structure could be provided directly in the theme then that would be the best and most flexible way. Maybe some of the code Fredde has for building menues in the python plugin can be used? A second option would be to provide a new startmenu view as a plugin. It seems that the different startmenu's have a print and a generate function, in that can one should be able to generate a interface and let the startmenu plugins register themselves on load. Like the audio players does.

acmelabs
Overlord

Postby acmelabs » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:25 pm

arj wrote:Hi...

Yep, good thoughts.

And you may slap me for this, but the endeavour about the current default theme and having all icons as vectors, was to have MMS 'HDTV ready (1080p)' one day.

Ah - and Pablito will only be able to provide one working theme, and this is the current one, because only this one is able to provide the icons in a certain size.

*duck*

Regards,
Andreas

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:10 am

arj wrote:as a plugin

Sounds like angels singing :D
Lg

Roman

Return to “1.0.9”