How to get mms running without a window manager.

Discuss anything not related to mms

Moderator: Moderator

PT
veteran

How to get mms running without a window manager.

Postby PT » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:16 am

I am not trying to spam the forum, but I would like to learn.

----

If I want to make a system without a window manager (and without the X server):
What should I do to get mms up and running?

I tried to start mms without starting any window manager, but then I got a lot of error messages regarding frame buffer (to video).

I have read that Andreas from Germany made a system that could start without a window manager.

Please tell.

----

The next topic could be: How to make a complete "back-stage" program, that could replace setup/settings. Here the user should be able to maintain music, photo and movie folders, tweak audio and video settings and tune-in TV programs, plus more.

dj
veteran

Postby dj » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:42 am

broken link
Last edited by dj on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

arj
Site Admin

Re: How to get mms running without a window manager.

Postby arj » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:01 pm

PT wrote:If I want to make a system without a window manager (and without the X server):
What should I do to get mms up and running?

I tried to start mms without starting any window manager, but then I got a lot of error messages regarding frame buffer (to video).

I have read that Andreas from Germany made a system that could start without a window manager.

I'm assuming here that you want to use the normal output of your graphics card. You first have to setup the framebuffer for the right resolution, you should be using sdl still because the framebuffer output is really slow.

But I really urge you to consider the costs (in time :)). Framebuffer has not been tested very much and it will almost certainly be a pain to setup (you need to consider all the other programs also, such as mplayer or xine, which e.g. won't be able to use the xv hardware driver to do scaling). I mean why would you want to do this in the first place? Disc space? Memory? Even small embedded devices can do X without much trouble so have a harder and harder time to justify the framebuffer solution.

That being said there is nothing in MMS that depends on X and we do just fine without it :)

PT wrote:The next topic could be: How to make a complete "back-stage" program, that could replace setup/settings. Here the user should be able to maintain music, photo and movie folders, tweak audio and video settings and tune-in TV programs, plus more.

I suggest that you look at options.[ch]pp. It reads in the options at startup and writes them on exit. So you basicly just need to do the same thing with the config file. What makes it not as easy as options is that some modules will need to be reinited when their options change. But it should be do able.

Return to “Off-topic”