Discuss anything not related to mms

Moderator: Moderator

PT
veteran

I like this kind of humor :-)

Postby PT » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:36 am

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=04125

Who would download it?

(But the other version is certainly recommended to everyone, that don't want to finetune the desktop.)

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:06 am

As you brought up the attention ...

This one:
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Remastersys
looks really interesting!

MMS-LiveCD or (even better) MMS-on-a-Stick for to carry with you :P

Lg
Roman

PT
veteran

Postby PT » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:58 pm

Yes, I have seen it and is considering to use it.

Two or three month ago I made a remastered live-CD based on LinuxMint, since it already got the proprietary codecs. At that time I used a python program named reconstructor: http://reconstructor.aperantis.com/

It would be pretty easy to make a live-CD with mms.
That is what I will do, but I want a modified theme and not all what the public mms contain (for example I don't want games). Furthermore, I will use xubuntu with modified themes and it will be based on the next official release of xubuntu. According what I have read about the next release of ubuntu the proprietary codecs will be installed from the internet, if the user answer yes.

Best regards,
Peter

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:06 pm

PT wrote:YIt would be pretty easy to make a live-CD with mms.
That is what I will do
:P

but I want (...) not all what the public mms contain (for example I don't want games).

There's no problem with providing an appropriate package therefore ...

Lg
Roman
Lg
Roman

PT
veteran

Postby PT » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:12 pm

I also want to use kaffeine to be the TV engine :-) , simply because it is very easy to setup for everyone, for example the auto-scan-tuning is very easy, it handles multible tuners, it has instant recording and even timer recording for the advanced users. This is why I am spending so much time here.

And I want beryl too :-) even if someone don't like it, I like it and I think many people do.

Also, the EPG will go out, since Kaffeine already contain it (this one is good enough for 98% of the users).

PT
veteran

Postby PT » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:27 pm

Warning: I am actually going to manufacturer machines with this system, you can see that on my website. I am doing it for a living and because it takes several hours to build a machine, it has a proprietary build-in front-end processor for Bang & Olufsen Remotes, it has very high quality sound, the price will not be cheap. I am using Intel Core 2 Duo. Imagine how fast it is when running with XFCE :shock:

However, the software is free for everyone and everyone can make their own machines.

This weekend I will show a new theme, the one I am going to use to my two new products.

We can make a new Live-CD distro, IF you are willing to accept my requirements :-) Else I have to make it myself, since I will use it for commercial use. If you can't accept it, then you make yours and I will make mine :-)

Best regards,
Peter
Last edited by PT on Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:32 pm

So the Live-CD should contain a complete Desktop?

/me thought of a Set-top-Box-like one ... running everywhere ... small enough to fit to a 512MB USB-Stick, too
Lg

Roman

PT
veteran

Postby PT » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:39 pm

Yes, the one I want is with a customized XFCE desktop with Beryl. The machine can do everything that a PC can too, for example E-mails, Internet-Browser, Documents, CAD or whatever you like, no limits.

Think about it!

I am pretty sure when the small details are solved (I only have two issues left) it will be "pretty simple" to make a new distro.

PT
veteran

Postby PT » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:13 pm

Uatschitchun,

It could be nice to make a LIGHT distro for an USB stick too. Especially to people that ONLY want a media center and nothing more, or to let people try it out.

BR,
Peter

igult

Postby igult » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:41 am

We in our company rebuild after work some t-online s100 boxes for the same use (not commercial, only a hobby project) : either running mms for watching movies, playing games etc and on the other side a complete xfce desktop.

Altough this box has only 128mb ram, this runs very well and is very cheap to build. I installed a xubuntu with a gdm login screen, and if you do not enter a user name for 30 sec, then mms will start without a window manager. So you can use it as mediacenter with the remote control that comes with the box or you can use it as normal pc with an usb keyboard/mouse.

Return to “Off-topic”