Porting Documentation into Wiki

Discuss things in the wiki

Moderator: Moderator

acmelabs
Overlord

Porting Documentation into Wiki

Postby acmelabs » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:30 pm

Hi all,

I'd like to collect ideas for porting Anders' documentation from his homepage to the official wiki.

o what should the structure look like?
    o does a one-to-one port make sense, since Installation is covered somewhere else?

Please contribute. Thanks

Andreas

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:13 am

I think we should start with just porting the existing docu ... though we have dependencies named and a structure which is very near to the compile options.

2. I would like to explicit document the config file - option by option (together with collecting users tipps). This would lead to a slightly resorted (re-ordered) config, cause of some options (like video) seem to be spread around in there.
Here we can also add different audio-setups (alsaplayer, gstreamer, xine) and video-setups (mplayer, cxfe, ...)

3. should be the runtime options described.

4. I would like to have some user's input-lirc examples together with the corresponding remote-control layouts ... this would probably help newbies.

5. we could extend the installation tutorial regarding different distributions ... dakine mentioned a tut for ubuntu ;)

6. could be some configuration examples (using MMS with X ... starting it by ... using MMS with VDR ... using externalplayer-plugin ...)

7. could be user tipps for pimping MMS (like changing the overscan for dxr3, adding xine-net TV together with VDR)

8. ...

This would lead us to:
Complete docu for overview, installation, using, extending and examples.

LG
Roman

P.S. I do think there is no need to have it all done by next week!
Summer is coming (endlich) ... We all have jobs to do ... WM is up tomorrow ... Anders and naicheben are going to Wacken, me is going to Reggae-Jam Bersenbrück http://www.reggaejam.de/allgemein/home.asp, etc, etc, ... never forget to respekt the WAF (women acceptance factor) ;)

acmelabs
Overlord

Postby acmelabs » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:19 am

Uatschitchun wrote:I think we should start with just porting the existing docu ... though we have dependencies named and a structure which is very near to the compile options.

2. I would like to explicit document the config file - option by option (together with collecting users tipps). This would lead to a slightly resorted (re-ordered) config, cause of some options (like video) seem to be spread around in there.
Here we can also add different audio-setups (alsaplayer, gstreamer, xine) and video-setups (mplayer, cxfe, ...)

3. should be the runtime options described.

4. I would like to have some user's input-lirc examples together with the corresponding remote-control layouts ... this would probably help newbies.

5. we could extend the installation tutorial regarding different distributions ... dakine mentioned a tut for ubuntu ;)

6. could be some configuration examples (using MMS with X ... starting it by ... using MMS with VDR ... using externalplayer-plugin ...)

7. could be user tipps for pimping MMS (like changing the overscan for dxr3, adding xine-net TV together with VDR)

8. ...

This would lead us to:
Complete docu for overview, installation, using, extending and examples.

LG
Roman

P.S. I do think there is no need to have it all done by next week!
Summer is coming (endlich) ... We all have jobs to do ... WM is up tomorrow ... Anders and naicheben are going to Wacken, me is going to Reggae-Jam Bersenbrück http://www.reggaejam.de/allgemein/home.asp, etc, etc, ... never forget to respekt the WAF (women acceptance factor) ;)

Thaks for this detailed post.

Well, let me start with point one. (Anders' Docu to Wiki). Btw. I agree in all points.

Regards,

Andreas

acmelabs
Overlord

Wiki Port Done - Next Point

Postby acmelabs » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:40 pm

OK,
the Wiki port of Anders' original Documentation is done.
see here:
http://mms.kicks-ass.org/wiki/index.php ... umentation

Now we need a solid framework for a new documentation. I would leave Anders' Documentation as is, and create a new one in parallel.

Here is an incomplete example of how I would do it:
New Documentation Framework
    o Introduction
    o Download (just a link)
    o Installation (just a link)
    o Configuration
      o etc/mms/config parameter
        o Modules
          o Audio
          o Movie
          o Pictures
          o EPG
      o /etc/mms/input-lirc + examples
    o Usage
      o Menus
        o Top Menu
        o ...
        o ...
        o Search Menu
    o Pimpin'
    o Known Problems
    o Links

Please update, comment or contribure. Thanks

Andreas

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:22 pm

Hey ... nice!!

Thought you're busy !? :)

Your framework looks nice! Would take it like this ... maybe the main-page should look like this!?

LG
Roman

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:33 pm

I'm really liking what I'm seeing in this thread. Good work everyone. I think the "tips and tricks from someone who has been using mms for quite some time" is a very good idea. But it's important that it's to the point and short so that people can just take a little intro and start using it. A lot of problems people have with software is because they havn't read the manual. But I don't blame them, often the manual either are insanely huge or simply missing. So having a short guide should be really nice.

About the config file. It has been completely moved around and has since been split up in 1.1.0. So I definately think it is a good idea to get it cleaned up. Anyone up for cleaning it up? Just create a new version and either send it to the list or to me privately.

Thanks.

Return to “wiki”