Config files to change after upgrading to Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy

other problems with configuration of mms

Moderator: Moderator

owenmeany

Config files to change after upgrading to Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy

Postby owenmeany » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:09 pm

Hi, or Moien as we say here in Luxembourg :D

After having tried many media softs I'm now decided to stick with MMS - it really rocks and is the best. Thanks for all the good work.

After having upgraded my ubuntu from 7.10 to 8.04 using a dist-upgrade, xine stopped to play ripped DVDs on my hard disk if called from MMS. Playing real DVDs from /dev/cdrom still worked, playing ripped DVDs directly from a shell also worked without problems.

After some fiddling around, I found out that I had to remove the "" from config file GenericPlayerConfig. So it contains now the following:

Code: Select all

generic_dvd_opts = %f %a dvd://%d/%t

After this mod xine plays again ripped DVDs from directories on my Harddisk if called from MMS. It seems that the "" in the config file are not used anymore by xine.

Has anyone had the same issue? If yes, I think a remark could be added in the standard config files.

BTW I also had some troubles running vdr-sxfe again after upgrading. It only ran as root. See also https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vdr-plugin-xineliboutput/+bug/197400

Now I have to

unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS

before starting vdr-sxfe and it works, even if the initial delay for starting it out of MMS is somewhat longer, but at least I'm able to get it running.
bg

marco

acmelabs
Overlord

Re: Config files to change after upgrading to Ubuntu 8.04 Ha

Postby acmelabs » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:45 pm

owenmeany wrote:Hi, or Moien as we say here in Luxembourg :D

After having tried many media softs I'm now decided to stick with MMS - it really rocks and is the best. Thanks for all the good work.

After having upgraded my ubuntu from 7.10 to 8.04 using a dist-upgrade, xine stopped to play ripped DVDs on my hard disk if called from MMS. Playing real DVDs from /dev/cdrom still worked, playing ripped DVDs directly from a shell also worked without problems.

After some fiddling around, I found out that I had to remove the "" from config file GenericPlayerConfig. So it contains now the following:

After this mod xine plays again ripped DVDs from directories on my Harddisk if called from MMS. It seems that the "" in the config file are not used anymore by xine.

Has anyone had the same issue? If yes, I think a remark could be added in the standard config files.

BTW I also had some troubles running vdr-sxfe again after upgrading. It only ran as root. See also https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vdr-plugin-xineliboutput/+bug/197400

Now I have to

unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS

before starting vdr-sxfe and it works, even if the initial delay for starting it out of MMS is somewhat longer, but at least I'm able to get it running.

This is what I call a valueable contribution :D
Thanks a lot.

Me personally, if I could turn back time, I would slap a big fat trout into my face the moment I was thinking "hey - let's try this dist-upgrade" feature. Since then I only suffer from troubles. Anyway - even if 8.04 seams like a big mistake to me, we've got no choice, and got to get things going with it also. So let's roll up the sleeves :shock:

Thanks,
Regards,
Andreas

owenmeany

Postby owenmeany » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:00 pm

Hello again :wink:

Thanks for your thanking (oder Vielen Dank für die Blumen.)

Up til now I had not much problems using the dist-upgrade it worked fine on my laptop and on my office PC (from 7.10 to 8.04). Unfortunately on my HTPC some things didn't work, so bad luck, these things happen.

But as 8.04 is LTS I think I'll stay a while on Hardy, at least on my HTPC, because it's really not so funny to work all night, so that your family is able to watch TV the next day :shock: Imagine what would happen if your kids can not watch TV because of a sudo apt-get dist-upgrade? I would have to install windows everyhere :cry:

Just being curious, why do you think 8.04 is a big mistake?
bg

marco

acmelabs
Overlord

Postby acmelabs » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:30 pm

owenmeany wrote:...
Just being curious, why do you think 8.04 is a big mistake?

LTS is a good point, that's why I also think we should get MMS going well on this Ubuntu Version:
My reasons for being disappointed (mostly my own mistakes):
  • S3 (suspend to RAM is broken for my system-> regression)
  • KDE4.0 is unsuable (alpha state)
  • gvfs (Gnome Virtual File System, not GnomeFS!) doesn't work with synce-gnome anymore)
  • All my self-compiled HDTV dvb-modules for VDR + xine-lib + xine-ui + ffplay have to be recompiled again for the new kernel. (own fault)
  • inkscape and various other application do segfault, they never did before -> loss of data :(
  • After a fresh boot I do have a keyboard mapping which I don't understand (typing not possible at all).
  • after exit in a ssh-session the console dies. This has been fixed many month ago -> Regression.
  • Firefox3 rendering is broken (can't read text sometimes at all)
  • Remote Desktop Service renders also crappy. Sometimes half of the Window is empty
  • Have to download new vmware-server sources for recompilation (old doesn't work anymore). Don't know whether this will work.
  • the auto-disappear of the gnome menus sucks (they appear/disappear to slow, can't change)
  • The window-resizers in the corners of the window in gnome sucks enormously!
  • the supplied burning tool doesn't care about my "4x" burning speed setting. So I can't listen to this Audio CD in my car.
  • Funny, but I can't shift the position slider in audio-playback mode. All audio applications I've tried crash.
  • my drawing tablet doesn't work with xorg-server 7.3 anymore. no workaround possible atm.
  • ...err I stop now, got to sleep
  • err, and yes - plus the points you've mentioed

I'll save my /home/acme onto another machine, and do a mkfs-ext3 /dev/hda1 or something, and start from scratch. Sometimes I've got the impression, I'm in the wrong movie or something, If you know what I'm saying.

Regards,
Andreas
Last edited by acmelabs on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

owenmeany

Postby owenmeany » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:47 pm

:oops: I see, my problems were small compared to yours. But I think you're right, lets roll up the sleeves and continue the work.

What would life be without challenges? 8) I think extremely boring.
bg

marco

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:35 pm

Does this:

is only needed in Hardy or would it be possible in gutsy, too?

I'm asking cause of coming rc7 and preparation of packages ... if it applies to hardy only, I have no chance, else I would do these changes within the debs directly!
Lg
Roman

owenmeany

Postby owenmeany » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:57 pm

It was only necessary to change this after I upgraded to Hardy. In Gutsy I was using the original config files shipped with rc6 - with the quotes included - and this was working well. So I think, yes it only applies to Hardy.
But maybe someone else has had the same experience and can relate it here.
bg

marco

Return to “other”