Stupid idea of the day

problems with keyboard, lirc or evdev

Moderator: Moderator

esprit
master
Posts: 503
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:50 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Stupid idea of the day

Postby esprit » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:48 am

Does someone already think of an Speech recognition system for MMS ?
Imagine these scene in one year :
"Down ! Down ! Down ! Right ! Add ! Play !"
* Music *
"Stop ! I say STOOOOPPP !! Okay, good boy MMS " :D

MMS would be the first Media Center I know to have this kind of feature
http://www.kiecza.net/daniel/linux/cvoicecontrol

Ok, I can stop dreaming and go back to the present now 8)

User avatar
arj
Site Admin
Posts: 2316
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:51 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Postby arj » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:54 am

Would only be acceptable if it implemented a "show me pr0n now" function :D

It's actually not a completely insane idea. But for it to work I think it should have a more high-level interface. A more perhaps relevant example would be. Show me TV or play me some music that I like. But that is a completely different interface. But it's fun to play with the idea.

User avatar
acmelabs
Overlord
Posts: 2365
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Stupid idea of the day

Postby acmelabs » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:17 pm

Hi

I like the name of the topic!
We should have beside "Feature Request" also an topic in the Forum named like that.
Most of my requests I would have had posted into "Stupid idea of the day".

But back on track: Voice-control and applications like Lirc aren't really a matter of MMS, it can be used as an additional application, like I use lircrc for controlling mms via lirc and keyboard simultaniously. No patch for MMS was necessary.

"You tube support" is also a good canditate for it, although the applicatioin "MediaPortal" for Windows has such kind of functionality, which works really great. You can search e.g for "Madonna" and you're getting a list of madonna videos you can play then. Very nice.

Anders, you can create such kind of forum, and write a script moving all my posts from "Feature Request" direclty into there. I think nobody would notice ;-)

Regards,
Andreas

ps: And don't forget, my HDTV is comming soom. The terror will begin very soon :twisted:

lorenzodes
master
Posts: 772
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:50 pm
Location: move.l 4.w,a6

Postby lorenzodes » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:40 pm

Well, as stupid idea of the day, I would like to suggest a weather report plugin or something like that :oops:

acmelabs wrote:ps: And don't forget, my HDTV is comming soom. The terror will begin very soon :twisted:


Wow, what panel did you buy?

User avatar
acmelabs
Overlord
Posts: 2365
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Postby acmelabs » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:54 pm

lorenzodes wrote:Well, as stupid idea of the day, I would like to suggest a weather report plugin or something like that :oops:

acmelabs wrote:ps: And don't forget, my HDTV is comming soom. The terror will begin very soon :twisted:

Version 1.1.0 will support plugins, I think a weather plugin will be one of the first things ;-)
Wow, what panel did you buy?

Err.. "will" buy, didn't get it yet :-|
Think, I wait until CeBIT is over.

Sharp LC-37 XD 1 E
Image

37", 1920x1080, and the best of all: I will control it via lirc, since there is a open and well documented RS232 interface! :D

Regards,
Andreas

lorenzodes
master
Posts: 772
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:50 pm
Location: move.l 4.w,a6

Postby lorenzodes » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:14 pm

acmelabs wrote:Version 1.1.0 will support plugins, I think a weather plugin will be one of the first things ;-)


This is good news :)

Wow, what panel did you buy?

Err.. "will" buy, didn't get it yet :-|

Sharp LC-37 XD 1 E
Image

37", 1920x1080, and the best of all: I will control it via lirc, since there is a open and well documented RS232 interface! :D

Regards,
Andreas

Will you let the display do the scaling or use xine/mplayer for that? I currently have a 42" LG plasma panel (1024x768) and to get the most I can from it I let xine do the scaling and apply some postprocess filters, but this is quite CPU intensive even though my it's an Athlon64 3000+. I am afraid I will have to upgrade it to be able watch HD movies properly (as soon as Linux is ready for that of course).

User avatar
acmelabs
Overlord
Posts: 2365
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Postby acmelabs » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:24 pm

lorenzodes wrote:Will you let the display do the scaling or use xine/mplayer for that? I currently have a 42" LG plasma panel (1024x768) and to get the most I can from it I let xine do the scaling and apply some postprocess filters, but this is quite CPU intensive even though my it's an Athlon64 3000+. I am afraid I will have to upgrade it to be able watch HD movies properly (as soon as Linux is ready for that of course).


I'm not sure about that at all. Right now I've got an 1280x768 LCD TV and I'm using MMS over VGA and VDR over SCART, so I have no scaling problem at all. (Thanks to my FF card, not possible with budget of course)
My first try will be using the new TV with the old constellation, only with higher resolution and over DVI. Only problem, MMS will look like a toy system at a res of 1920x1080. (Opps, the terror slightly begins ;-) )

Regards,
Andreas


Return to “input”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest