VDR-SXFE + MMS: How is it working?

problems with keyboard, lirc or evdev

Moderator: Moderator

lorenzodes
master

Postby lorenzodes » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:25 am

Uatschitchun wrote:Jepp, my idea! Thought about if it would be possible to change lircd.conf at runtime ...

I tested with two identical configs with just different names.

configured MMS to use the one names and VDR to use the other names.

Works like a charme ...

There must be a drawback somewhere!?

Question:
How do I substitute the PID for 'kill -HUP' within a script?

Code: Select all

kill -HUP 'pidof lircd'

?
How would such a line have to look like?

Is this correct?

kill -HUP $(pidof lircd)

and if I use a script for starting vdr-sxfe I can't use 'tvopts' in config anymore, right?

Or is there a way to still use this variable?

Lg
Roman

killall -HUP lircd

or, better,

pidof lircd >/dev/null && killall -HUP lircd #checks if lircd is running then sends the signal
"I’m not frightened of dying, anytime will do, I don’t mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There’s no reason for it, you gotta go sometime"

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:11 am

Ok maybe I'm really slow (especially at 3AM in the morning) so please could anyone tell me why the resolution pokasaha80 posted doesn't work? I know I asked before. Why do we need two different lircd.conf files? I tested his solution on my machine and it works perfectly fine. VDR doesn't listen to lirc unless vdr-sxfe is running!

acmelabs
Overlord

Postby acmelabs » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:18 am

arj wrote:Ok maybe I'm really slow (especially at 3AM in the morning) so please could anyone tell me why the resolution pokasaha80 posted doesn't work? I know I asked before. Why do we need two different lircd.conf files? I tested his solution on my machine and it works perfectly fine. VDR doesn't listen to lirc unless vdr-sxfe is running!

Good question. I don't understand this discussion either. As far as I understand, is vdr started without lirc, and the connection is done via sxfe over port 2001, which is started within MMS.
Can anybody confirm, that the situation is solved regarding MMS+VDR with SXFE as frontend?
I see, that with CXFE (the WM-less solution), we have still a problem. So one can state, that pokasaha80s solutions is not a general one. Is that correct?

Regards,
Andreas

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:52 am

Ok, let me summarize!

Scenario 1 (network):
VDR-server (headless) & MMS-client (vdr-sxfe as tv-app)
In this case integration works ootb as long as VDR's remote.conf is set to the same lirc-keys as MMS is, cause lirc connection to VDR is done by vdr-sxfe.
VDR using lirc as input does not matter in any way!

Scenario 2 (local):
VDR-server (headless only) & MMS-client (vdr-sxfe as tv-app)
In this case starting up VDR without lirc-input is neccessary. This could/has to be done in several ways:
* selfcompiled VDR
Just leaving away '--lirc' option is your choice
* VDR from debian-packages
Use 'update-alternatives --config vdr' to choose between vdr-daemon, vdr-kbd, vdr-lirc or vdr-rcu
* for VDR from Tobi's packages
Add '--lirc=/dev/null' to OPTIONS in /etc/default/vdr to disable lirc-input
Note: This one works for debian packages as well!

After disabling lirc-input for VDR integration works ootb as long as VDR's remote.conf is set to the same lirc-keys as MMS is, cause lirc connection to VDR is done by vdr-sxfe.

Scenario 3 (local):
VDR-server (with and without head) & MMS-client (vdr-sxfe as tv-app)
Example for this setup:
http://mms.kicks-ass.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2783#2783
If one wants to run both, VDR (with head) and MMS (with DXR3-output or vdr-sxfe) on the same machine and beeing able to use just one lircd.conf with both, there are these possibilities:
* Patch VDR to add SVDRP-Command like skrzyp posted in the thread above or like helau posted it here:
http://vdr-portal.de/board/thread.php?postid=523662#post523662. This way one is able to make VDR listening to lirc temporarily and switch listening on and off with SVDRP-command
* Use two different lircd.confs and link/copy them as described in this thread together with using 'mmslircdwrapper' as provided in my mms-debs to SIGHUP lircd as normal user for to make it read the new config.
Advantage here is that one does not have to patch VDR and is therefore able to just use packaged VDR without recompilation!
* Simply use two different remotes with two different lircd.confs and MMS and VDR setup accordingly ;)

Am I correct? Did I miss a scenario?

Lg
Roman

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:11 am

Thanks for clearing that up Roman! Really appreciate it.

So I guess we should be ok shipping 1.0.8.3 without any further patches? I mean from a package maintainer perspective. Since on can get it working both local + network using standard packages.

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:04 am

Yes ... afaics there there should be nothing more needed than we have in the packages right now!

I'll add the 'Scenarios' to the README.Debian.

If some time is left, I'll see if I can extract the relevant info out of this thread and feed the wiki with it.
There should be a separate headline in wiki concerning TV, EPG, etc. ... so even PT's kaffeine setup could go there (Dcop, etc.).

Lg
Roman

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:09 pm

Lg
Roman

Return to “input”