Outdated LIRC instructions

problems with keyboard, lirc or evdev

Moderator: Moderator

md-xxl

Outdated LIRC instructions

Postby md-xxl » Fri May 14, 2010 6:14 am

Dear comrades

You all will certainly agree that a nicely configured MMS with remote control will be of ultimate use and is simply fun and a great enhancement in the living room. I'm pretty close to this goal, there's just one thing that definitely needs improvement:

As I'm struggling to get my lirc remote working nicely in MMS and cxfe, I wonder if somebody with more insight in this matter would be able to write up-to-date instructions on how to configure the /input/lirc/xxx instructions. Anyone who installs version 1.x and up will find that all instructions in the Wiki are outdated and apply to version 0.8 where every lirc statement went into one central configuration file.
For example: The use of the configuration file /input/lirc/alarms is mentioned nowhere except for in the file itself.

For us newbies, it's a real pain to find out what key command is used for which program behaviour. Looking at the 'dependencies' chart makes things even worse. Which lirc keys can be re-used further down in the hierarchy and which keys should stay unique, I'm getting lost.

Could someone shed a light on all this so that also non-programmers and ordinary users are able to follow the logic?

naicheben
Overlord

Re: Outdated LIRC instructions

Postby naicheben » Fri May 14, 2010 10:24 am

Something like that: http://wiki.mymediasystem.org/wiki/index.php/Input_lirc_description_1.1.1 Ok, it's just a beginning, but maybe we can improve it together.
mit Hellseherschein ;.)

md-xxl

Re: Outdated LIRC instructions

Postby md-xxl » Fri May 14, 2010 1:36 pm

naicheben wrote:Something like that: http://wiki.mymediasystem.org/wiki/index.php/Input_lirc_description_1.1.1 Ok, it's just a beginning, but maybe we can improve it together.

Exactly Naichleben,

I also pulled out your post in the German forum section and replied to it as well. I tell you what - I'll set up a table with all the information I need as a newbie in order to map the LIRC keys to the individual MMS functions.
Can I send that table over to you to double-check and add your comments/explanations? The thing is, I have a very basic MMS configuration here whithout radio, TV, vbox etc. I only use audio and video (VDR recordings and DVD specifically) on my dxr3 system (running Lenny) so I cannot add any comments on those 'extras'.
So I'll gladly accept your offer to work on this together, thanks for your time!
Andreas

Return to “input”