Remote not recognized in MMS if startet by root

problems with keyboard, lirc or evdev

Moderator: Moderator

fbn

Postby fbn » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:31 pm

it's possible to set any variable required, it's a shell script. but I don't have a clue which shell variable that could be ...

can you give me a hint how I can test it?

lorenzodes
master

Postby lorenzodes » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:52 pm

fbn wrote:it's possible to set any variable required, it's a shell script. but I don't have a clue which shell variable that could be ...

can you give me a hint how I can test it?

Well, irxevent needs X, so I'd say a 1st candidate would be XAUTHORITY.... but it's very hard to tell without lirc installed.
"I’m not frightened of dying, anytime will do, I don’t mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There’s no reason for it, you gotta go sometime"

fbn

Postby fbn » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:04 pm

Hi Lorenzo,

I compared the output of the set command as root and my user media but I did not find anything that could be related to irxevent (but I'm not sure).

I then tried running irxevent as root but it also only worked for user media (strange but I love surprises). After that I read about irxevent in daemon mode ... no luck for me.

Then I tried this: su media -c mms as root and magic-magic - it works. placed this command into resume.sh and beeing happy for the day :)

Thanks for your help!

Frank

acmelabs
Overlord

Postby acmelabs » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:29 pm

fbn wrote:Hi Lorenzo,

I compared the output of the set command as root and my user media but I did not find anything that could be related to irxevent (but I'm not sure).

I then tried running irxevent as root but it also only worked for user media (strange but I love surprises). After that I read about irxevent in daemon mode ... no luck for me.

Then I tried this: su media -c mms as root and magic-magic - it works. placed this command into resume.sh and beeing happy for the day :)

Thanks for your help!

Frank

[DISCLAIMER]
Sorry, the following content may be off-topic and represents an opinion. This opinion is by no means representitive and doesn't claim to be or to get universal validity. The following is an emotional outburst, and the author will be most likely very sorry after a short while.
[/DISCLAIMER]

<opinion>
real hackers don't give a fuck about kiddy crap like protecting your box by running your application as a non-root user. I've never had a situation in my whole life (and I'm an old fart), where I had to admit: wow - thanks god this stuff ran as a non-root user, else I would have been owned! The only effect I saw so far, is that I constrain myself, and make my life difficult, not the one of the hacker.
I would be very thankful, if there is somewhere in the Linux-Installation process a question: "Disable all security crap, because e.g. you're alone in your home-network behind a router/firewall". I'd have saved a lot time in my live.

Ahh - and if I'm already up to it: I'm for a CAPS-LOCK free keyboard, and SCROLL-LOCK is nonsense!!
</opinion>

Regrets,
Andreas
Last edited by acmelabs on Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fbn

Postby fbn » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:43 pm

Andreas, I don't get it. What I now archived and what was the target was to run mms as user media and not as root. Is that what you were talking about?

lorenzodes
master

Postby lorenzodes » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:32 pm

fbn wrote:Andreas, I don't get it. What I now archived and what was the target was to run mms as user media and not as root. Is that what you were talking about?

No, he was having a go at me because I am the one that coded the -u part in mms :P

If it works with su -c, it means some environment variable gets properly set by console through $HOME/.bashrc for example. It would be cool if you could figure that out.

I could add some code to dump all env variables to stdout if it may be of some use for you.
"I’m not frightened of dying, anytime will do, I don’t mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There’s no reason for it, you gotta go sometime"

acmelabs
Overlord

Postby acmelabs » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:44 pm

Lorenzo is right, you weren't my target :)
And ... I'm already sorry for this crap I wrote :cry:

fbn

Postby fbn » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:38 pm

@Lorenzo: I don't have a development system yet, I'll come back to this thread if I have one (atm I only have a system with the debian installation, conpiling the source did not work for me on debian because of missing libs).

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:45 pm

missing libs

Add my repository (incl. deb-src) to your sources.list and do a

Code: Select all

apt-get build-dep mms
Lg
Roman

fbn

Postby fbn » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:36 pm

Uatschitchun wrote:
missing libs

Add my repository (incl. deb-src) to your sources.list and do a

Code: Select all

apt-get build-dep mms

If I do this, will I have all the libs required for building MMS from head (bazar)?

Return to “input”