X windows Touch screen as input device

problems with keyboard, lirc or evdev

Moderator: Moderator

Stupoty

X windows Touch screen as input device

Postby Stupoty » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:06 pm

I have an 8" touchscreen that works with X windows and wos wondering if you can set the MMS to use mouse input as this would be perfect for an in car system or as my music PC, (the system is a 466Mhz Via C3 fanless) with media curently on a samba mounted share, It has a 120Gb 2.5 inch drive for solo use.

So can my dream come true as MMS has a beutiful interface that works well on a small screen all we nead is a back button on screen and some player controls.

Any thoughts on this apriciated.

Stuart

acmelabs
Overlord

Re: X windows Touch screen as input device

Postby acmelabs » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:47 pm

Stupoty wrote:I have an 8" touchscreen that works with X windows and wos wondering if you can set the MMS to use mouse input as this would be perfect for an in car system or as my music PC, (the system is a 466Mhz Via C3 fanless) with media curently on a samba mounted share, It has a 120Gb 2.5 inch drive for solo use.

So can my dream come true as MMS has a beutiful interface that works well on a small screen all we nead is a back button on screen and some player controls.

Any thoughts on this apriciated.

Stuart

Quick shot: Should be possible, if not - the developer needs to be convinced to add the missing parts. But I thing we've got already almost all that we need for touchscreen support.

One thing: The display should be around 800x600 pixels in size, else you'll get difficulties.

Would be cool, if you keep this thought up and us informed as well. We'll support you. At least I would :-)

Regards,
Andreas

PS: You're not the first one, who's looking for a car solution. I thing MMS has potential to meet the needs.
Last edited by acmelabs on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:18 pm

This works. I use more or less the same thing for my nokia n800 over vnc. But it should work equally well locally. It even has finger-scrolling for page-up and -down :-)

Stupoty

Postby Stupoty » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:49 pm

Is their any help/documentation on the EVDEV input type ? is this how you make it work im presuming that as the touch screen (a lilliput 16:9 unit) uses evtouch driver for X windows mouse and is on /dev/input/event4

I first started this as a mini experiment into a silent of near silent PC for my bedroom to access all the music I have, It's workd well in some ways its just that the user interface of most music/media management systems is more akin to itunes , i.e. best suited to high resolution display with mouse.

Whear as the MMS interface is very clean and easy to navigate even on my 800 x 600 pixal 8" display also it's semingly quite light waight as it runs fine with the keyboard as input on my humble 466Mhz Via C3 with 512Mb ram.

How does the gesguring thing work ? is that set in the Input-evdev config file?

The Wiki seamd a little vaugue on what should go in that file.

I will go and read through all the documentation I can find and get back to you.
[/img]

arj
Site Admin

Postby arj » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:31 pm

The way it currently works is that it just uses mouse input. So if you can get your touch screen to work like that then it's perfect. The gesture thing just works, you don't have to configure anything. You do the action for something by touching it, and you do the scrolling by either moving a finger up or down.

What I do is that I have keyboard enabled and then mouse get's automatically active with SDL output unless you actively disabled it when configuring. Then I map 6 keys on the input device for action and secondary action, but more or less only what is needed is the secondary action as there are no gesture shortcuts for that currently.

Your device should have some buttons, right?

I should write something about this in the wiki.

mrvanes

Postby mrvanes » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:18 pm

MMS has come a long way since the last time I checked (I still looking for a nice touchscreen compatible media player).
I checked out the last 1.1.0rc9 and tried to use the interface with mouse alone (as a test) which works like a charm except for removing or clearing the playlist.
Are you planning on managing the playlist with touchscreen (or left mouse click) alone? I guess a delayed option (long-click) or a little delete icon in front of the songname or clicking the song length would suffice?

Don't tell me I have to hook up a keyboard just to press the del-key! :)

mrvanes

Postby mrvanes » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:02 am

I just installed 1.1.2~pre2 from ubuntu launchpad archives but was a little disappointed there's still no full mouse-only playlist management.
I know I should not complain about free software, so I don't. It's just that MMS comes so close to what I need, but just not there because of this :(

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:51 am

Help is always welcome ;)
Lg
Roman

mrvanes

Postby mrvanes » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:41 pm

I know, and I really would if I had the time...

naicheben
Overlord

Re:

Postby naicheben » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:19 am

arj wrote:The way it currently works is that it just uses mouse input. So if you can get your touch screen to work like that then it's perfect. The gesture thing just works, you don't have to configure anything. You do the action for something by touching it, and you do the scrolling by either moving a finger up or down.

What I do is that I have keyboard enabled and then mouse get's automatically active with SDL output unless you actively disabled it when configuring. Then I map 6 keys on the input device for action and secondary action, but more or less only what is needed is the secondary action as there are no gesture shortcuts for that currently.

Your device should have some buttons, right?

I should write something about this in the wiki.

Not done so I think? Could someone please explain the basics?
mit Hellseherschein ;.)

Return to “input”