New Forum user creation

Moderator: Moderator

lorenzodes
master

New Forum user creation

Postby lorenzodes » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:29 am

Due to increased number of fake accounts created by spambots in the last few days (with a peak of a new fake account created every ten minutes), I have been forced to ban entire IP ranges, mostly from China, eastern Europe and Russia. This is in no way an ideal solution, but the only other option was to block or at least moderate account creations. Should these temporary measures create any problem, feel free to email me.

Thanks.
"I’m not frightened of dying, anytime will do, I don’t mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There’s no reason for it, you gotta go sometime"

acmelabs
Overlord

Re: New Forum user creation

Postby acmelabs » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:33 pm

lorenzodes wrote:Due to increased number of fake accounts created by spambots in the last few days (with a peak of a new fake account created every ten minutes), I have been forced to ban entire IP ranges, mostly from China, eastern Europe and Russia. This is in no way an ideal solution, but the only other option was to block or at least moderate account creations. Should these temporary measures create any problem, feel free to email me.

Thanks.

Very good job! Thanks.
I've been increasingly deleting here spam-accounts over the last months. But this seems to be a new dimension.
It's always a damn pity a couple of morons destroy communities of many millions. Sometimes quartering and emasculation seems too good for them. Well, but we - of course - can start with blocking IP ranges first. ;-)

Constructive regards,

Andreas

naicheben
Overlord

Postby naicheben » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:17 pm

I have today enabled a user-account for a guy know from zenega-user-forum. He asked for an account on Aug. 28th! How can I enable a user waiting for it without running into trouble with spam again? Since the new creation mode is up, I don't know who to trust and who to enable...
How do you handle this?
mit Hellseherschein ;.)

Uatschitchun
Overlord

Postby Uatschitchun » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:43 am

naicheben wrote:How do you handle this?

By luck ;)
Lg
Roman

Return to “announcements”